Pages

Taco Seasoning and Tater Tot Taco casserole

Taco Seasoning


I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. It 's so much better than the commercial brands. The best thing is that you can adjust the salt to suit your taste. I only put in half the salt and next time I think I will try even less, since we try and keep a low sodium diet. I like to make a big batch and keep it on hand. I also put it in the food processor to blend it into powder. I use 2 TBSP to replace a packet of taco seasoning (actually, I use 2 heaping TBSP because we like our food spicy.)

1 TBSP   Chili Powder
1/4 tsp     Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp     Onion Powder
1/4 tsp     Chili Pepper flakes
1/4 tsp     Oregano
1/2 tsp     Paprika
1-1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp        Salt
1 tsp        Pepper

Now I use the above recipe in a new casserole I tried this week. My husband and picky son loved it, in fact, my husband requested it again tonight. I found the recipe online, but I can't remember the site. I guess it doesn't matter since I tweaked it and didn't really follow the recipe anyway (it's sort of a habit with me.) Anyhow, here's the recipe for my new improved Tater Tots Taco Casserole:

About 3 cups of shredded left-over chicken
1 packet taco seasoning or 2 TBSP of the DIY Taco Seasoning
1/4 water
1/2 med. oinion
about 1 1/2 Cups frozen corn
Shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
1   12 oz jar salsa
enough tater tots to cover about 1/3 of a 2kg bag
sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F
1. Sauté the onion, chicken, and corn together
2. Add the taco seasoning and water
3. Simmer for a few minutes
4. Spread chicken mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan
5. Layer shredded cheddar over chicken
6. Spread tater tots in a single layer over cheese
7. Spread salsa over tater tots
8. Cook for one hour

Serve with sour cream

Enjoy! A great make ahead dinner.

 

1 comments:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Perfect timing! We purchased the shells, lettuce etc for tacos tonight (have beef in the freezer) but no taco seasoning. Absolutely the right time to find your blog on the roll at IFB KJV Blog Directory. Will be back, I promise.

Newer Post Older Post Home