Pages

The Best Deodorant


Don't you just love finding out that you can make something from scratch that is better for you and cheaper than the commercial brands? A few weeks ago, I found a recipe for deodorant on Keeping It Simple. At first, I thought, it couldn't possibly work as well as the expensive brand name kind. Well.... I was right! It works BETTER than the commercial brands I've tried. And I have picky pits! Ever since I started needing deodorant, only certain brands would work for more than a few hours. 

Well, my curiosity got to me and I thought well what have I got to loose? (except the $10 it cost for the coconut oil, that is) Finally, I got up the nerve to try it... and WOW! My pits have never smelled so great. I have been wearing it since Saturday and not one problem. (Let me clarify that... I've been putting it on fresh once a day after my shower since Saturday.)

I also suffer from stinky feet, the other night before bed, they were particularly stinky. I used to use commercial spray deodorant on my feet since it has the same ingredients as the expensive foot spray. So, I tried the new recipe on my feet! They actually smelled good!

We purchased the coconut oil at Walmart for $10 for about 12 oz. You can find it with the health supplements. You can probably buy it cheaper somewhere else though. This will make several recipes and I found one recipe filled one of my husband's old deodorant containers plus. It would probably fill a ladies-size container twice. 

So, how do you make this miracle deodorant? Here's the recipe:

1/4 Cup Corn Starch
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
5-6 TBSP Coconut Oil

Yep! That's it. If you have sensitive skin you may want to adjust the amount of baking soda to corn starch. I've heard that too much baking soda can cause irritation. Kristy at Raising Godly Daughters suggests increasing the corn starch to 1/2 cup. Give it a try. I don't think I'll ever go back to commercial brands!

2 comments:

Ken and Carole Tetrault said...

That is so interesting!! I didn't know it was possible to make your own deodorant!! Thanks for sharing!

The Loveless Family said...

FIY...

It's been over a week and I'm still smellin' sweet! I don't think I'll ever use anything else. Now, to get my hubby to try it!

Newer Post Older Post Home